Saturday, September 20, 2014

Country Bike Rally details

Next weekend is the Country Bike Rally. Think of a "country bike" as a bike that is well-suited to a mix of on-road and off-pavement riding. Thankfully, there are a lot of bikes in this unofficial category now. This is a social event, and I welcome riders of all abilities. I will also take lots of breaks to make sure everybody is keeping up and having fun.

I've decided to break the weekend into several separate events, so you don't have to commit to the entire weekend to participate. Here's the itinerary:

Sept 26, Friday evening: Meet at HC at 6pm for a ride to some eating/drinking establishment probably 5-10 miles away.

Sept 27, Saturday 9am: Meet at HC for a short ride into Fort Snelling State Park. We have arranged to have an array of fat bikes available to demo on the non-technical dirt trails in the park. I believe fat bikes are, in some ways, the ultimate country bike. I also believe they are misunderstood because most cyclists haven't tried one. This is your chance. After fooling around on fat bikes for a couple hours, we'll go have lunch.

Sept 28, Saturday 1pm: Reconvene at HC for a ride down into the Minnesota River Bottoms. This will be a loop of approximately 20 miles. The trails along the river are dirt, but are mostly firm, flat, wide, and easy to ride. I believe that most riders will be able to ride most of the trail on 700x35 or bigger tires. If we get serious rain between now and then, we will probably do something different.

Sunday 9am: HC again for a more pavement-oriented ride. We will have coffee/lunch along the way, and try to wrap things up by mid-afternoon.

Hope to see lots of friends for one or all these events. Tell your friends and family. I want everybody to feel welcome to attend.

3 comments:

Tom Goodmann said...

I can't make it to this weekend, but the schedule of rides sounds great (fat bikes!) Thanks in advance, Jim, for putting this weekend together. Post pictures, y'all! --Tom (Miami)

Two-Wheeled Explorer said...

Wish I could be there, but I'm working next weekend. otherwise I'd have to choose between my gravel/touring bike and my fat bike. Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

This looks like an amazing event! Sorry I can't make it as I will be Duluth bound. Hope this happens again! Be sure to blast email again in advance. Thanks for putting this on!