Thursday, May 24, 2012

"Gone Fishing" and a new bike I'm riding

We will be gone for the Memorial Day holiday weekend Friday, May 25 thru Monday, May 28, and back to work normal hours on Tuesday. We'll miss you, and we hope you have a nice time with or without your bike!

In the meantime, here's a somewhat crummy phone-cam picture of my semi-new Surly Disc Trucker, which replaced the Troll.



Eagle-eyed readers will notice a number of unique aspects of the build. I'm very happy with the bike and planning a variety of adventures (close and not-close to home).

I've been riding the Disc Trucker for a few weeks, and a lot of people have asked me why I didn't keep the Troll, as if I know some secret bad thing about the Troll. But the reality is simply that I feel the desire and the need to keep up with new products that we sell, and that I can't afford the money or the space to have more than 3-4 bikes at once. As for the Troll, it went to one of my chums, and I'm glad for him to have it. I may get another one someday, but we'll see. Anyway, the Disc Trucker is "pretty effing rad" as the kids say. The handling and ruggedness are perfect. It doesn't fit the monster rubber like the Troll, but it's ok with 26x2.1" tires.

7 comments:

Gunnar Berg said...

Tough to beat a new bike to get the blood flowing again.

Dick Gilpin said...

Oooh Jim. That rear hub looks interesting...

Jim Thill said...

Dick, I tried it because I knew you'd want one someday and I needed some first-hand expertise.

Anonymous said...

Jim, what are those handlebars?

Karl Gerstenberger said...

Rohloff.

Jim Thill said...

The handlebar is a now extinct Ti model from Fatback. Despite the Ti handlebar, the bike is not very light.

lazytourist said...

looks really classy, in a kind of lancaster bomber way, I have a crosscheck setup for commuting/fast dayrides/credit card touring now can't decide between troll and 26"disc trucker for the heavier stuff, live close to Dartmoor national park in Devon , England so need something that will handle trail duties bit of singletrack but not silly off roading (too old,too unfit and did all that 20 years ago when mtbs had canti's, sensible geometry and suspension was frame build and tyre pressure.
d'ya reck'n trucker willl handle that, troll cool but short chainstays and I have size 11 US feet. advice appreciated