Sunday, October 9, 2011

Bon Voyage to The Weasel!

Our customer-turned-friend-turned-hero, Sean - aka "The Weasel" - rolled out today.

Sean decided that spending his days in a cubicle re-engineering low-bid spaghetti software codes was not how he wanted to use the prime years of his life. With no small amount of deliberation, he finally made the decision to follow his dream of embarking on an open-ended bike tour. He had an "ideal" plan in place, which would have had him touring with financial independence in the company of some attractive and/or agreeable female, but decided that waiting for all the planets to align was simply too risky. He finally said, and I'm paraphrasing from my imagination here, "fuck it, what's the worst that can happen?" Bike touring and life are fraught with uncertainty, but fortunately, in hindsight, we see that it's the things we didn't control that were some of our best times. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, Sean quit a well-paying job, and disposed of most of his worldly possessions that didn't fit on his Long Haul Trucker. This afternoon, after brunching with those of us lucky enough to be his friends, he pedaled off in a southerly direction, with the goal of outrunning Minnesota winter. He's aiming for New Orleans by following the Mississippi River at a leisurely pace, but unlike a guy on a limited vacation, he can change plans on a whim, and has no itinerary but his own.

I'm going to miss my friend. We did many short and long rides together, spent many evenings at Hard Times Cafe drinking mud and yukking it up, and I always hoped he'd swing by the shop on his way home from work. At the same time, I am exceedingly happy to see him tear up the life-script and follow a more unorthodox path. Starting today, The Weasel is living the freedom that most of us would prefer, but for the courage.

Keep up with him through his blog. He's a good man, and thorough.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will be missed by me, always a great ride companion and stand up guy to boot. This is a bold move. I wish Sean well in his travels.
Sorry I missed seeing him out of town, but hopefully he will be back or can meet up again someday. I just had the pleasure of riding with him on the gentlemans 100 mile gravel ride, and what a great ride it was. Good luck Sean.

Mark W.

Anonymous said...

Another ride I will always remember with Jim and Sean was this last Christmas Eve. We rolled around all night and even ended up with dinner at one establishment and drinks at another with two friends, I can think of many worse ways to spend Christmas Eve, and I will remember that ride for a long time as well. Ok, enough rambling by me.

Mark W.

Lanny said...

I'm going to miss the Weas.

He's a rare guy who is almost always up for almost anything, smart enough to have a better plan and kind enough to let me try things my way without ever saying "told you so!" when results are, as he is fond of saying "suboptimal."

The Weasel is a hell of a guy and he is going to have one hell of an adventure. I look forward to hearing his tales of travel, reading between the lines and speculating on how I would handle the challenges he will face daily.

It's completely fitting that the last I saw of him in the Twin Cities was the back end of his heavily laden touring bike, spinning up a hill and chatting with a mutual friend. It looked altogether normal and right.

KM said...

When he left my house, he was pretty fired up to begin the journey.

He was wise behind his years and I will miss his signature "cackle". I meant to toast him at his going away party but was afraid I'd butcher it:

"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand."

Jay said...

Seriously cool! Given the Weasel's caloric requirements, I would assume he would need a trailer of some kind for food alone. May he never go hungry!

Just bookmarked his blog - looking forward to following.

Anonymous said...

I've always dreamed of DRIVING down the length of Hwy 61...but riding it - now that is a DREAM..I'll be following the blog, despite having never even met the guy. Bon Voyage.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim -

I went to that fellows web site and read about his tour. I got the impression that it was going to be more then just a 7 day tour (He appears to have ridden from here in town over to Wisconsin). Since you are a former friend, are you aware of why he only rode 7 days? Or did I misinterpret something. He seemed to have lots of trouble with equipment (it appears to have severely limited his per day average mileage goals).

Sean (The Weasel) said...

Thanks all.
I've had issues with lack of cell phone service in Wisconsin on top of dealing with hills, dwindling daylight and now mechanical failures. I'm currently regrouping in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and have just gotten the blog caught up to date.
Stay tuned.