Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wheelbuilding class - October 8, but register now!

NOTE: The OCT 8 Class is FULL!! Please let me know if you want to be on a waiting list for this class or another class later in October.

The wheelbuilding class has been requested by a handful of customers, so let's have one on October 8. Building and riding your own wheels can be a satisfying experience on its own, provides a valuable home-mechanic skill (truing), and usually results in excellent quality wheels.

halfradial

I will hold the class Saturday, October 8, 8am-Noon. The registration fee is $60, which is required to reserve your spot. We will provide a workspace equipped with a truing stand and spoke wrench for you to use during the class. Most people are able to build one wheel during the class, but others try to build a pair of wheels. You can supply your own rim(s), hub(s), and/or spokes, or you can get those items from HC for a discounted price with class registration. If you don't know which wheel components suit your needs, tastes, and budget, we will help with that, too. Space is limited, so call 612-727-2565 or stop in to register and discuss options for your new wheels.

5 comments:

schvin said...

great idea! if I was a bit closer I would most certainly attend...

Anonymous said...

If I sign up, will you be teaching how to lace mountain bike wheels (instead of the road wheel pictured)? I am thinking of making my own mountain bike wheels instead. I have stopped at your shop a few times now.

David

Jim Thill said...

Hi David. The principles of wheel building are the same for mountain bike wheels, road bike wheels, touring bike wheels, comfort bike wheels, randonneur bike wheels, recumbent wheels, or unicycle wheels. You can't believe the weird shit I've built wheels for. You can categorize your wheel however you like - it's all the same.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jim. I want build very strong wheels because I am thinking about bicycle touring but I have yet to accumulate the necessary (and highly specialized) equipment. It is all very expensive definetly. I am shooting for 2012 but 2013 is more likely.

NeutronNed said...

Wow! Perfect timing! I've just picked up a SRAM internal hub and really want to try my hand at building up a 20" wheel for my Catrike. Wanted to learn how to build wheels for years but just never to it! I'll call you to get on the waiting list or on the class list for your second class, if offered.