Wednesday, July 6, 2011

S12O

Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works has been trying to popularize the idea of bicycle micro-touring, which he calls the S24O - short for Sub-24hr-Overnight. Grant's goal is to encourage bicycle touring among people who, for various reasons, cannot commit to leaving home on a bicycle trip for many days, weeks, or months. Bite-size bike touring.

I did one of these trips last night after work. From the time I punched out last night until I was cooking breakfast in my kitchen this morning, the total elapsed time was under 12 hours. I'm calling it a S12O. I took relatively few photos, but here are a couple to give a flavor of the experience:


I already had panniers on my bike, which contained the usual tools, tubes, pump, and locks. I added a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and tent, and off I went into the local wilderness. Once the traffic on a nearby highway died down for the evening, and my fears of roving serial killers dissipated, it was a most pleasant night to sleep out in the woods.

3 comments:

brother yam said...

River bottoms?

Joe said...

Nice little getaway!

rigtenzin said...

Don't worry about roving serial killers. Instead worry about roving long-haul truckers.