Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Now would be a good time

The timing of the onset of Spring in Minnesota can be a tricky thing, but in the bike repair business, it tends to be pretty clear when Spring starts. In one day we go from having no bikes to service to being completely swamped with work. Of course, the rush is typically motivated by a couple days of unseasonable weather, and expectations of getting the bike back the same day or next day are highly unrealistic when you're the 20th person to drag your neglected bike through our door 15 minutes before we close on a Saturday. It would be better for everybody if these things were attended to in advance. Just like me writing this blog post when I should be finishing my taxes...

Anyway, in the last week, I've received numerous communications that say something like: "I want to bring my bike in before you guys get too busy. When would be a good time?" I can't predict the exact date when we're gonna be swamped, but as I type this, it hasn't happened yet. Grand tally on today's sales an hour before closing: $15. So NOW would be a wonderful time to bring us your bike for service. Then you can pat yourself on the back when you're out riding your well-tuned machine while everybody else is in futile negotiations with their curmudgeonly bike mechanics to be moved to the front of the queue.

No comments: