Wednesday, May 5, 2010

what we've been up to (chapter 3)

I got together Saturday after work with friends for a couple laps at Salem Hills. One of the guys brought his kids (age 10 and 13). It was fun to watch the youngsters riding the trails and developing their confidence and skill. Salem Hills is a pretty easy trail, so it's perfect for kids and unskilled types like me.

I was tempted to ride one of the really nice Redline 29ers we are selling at HC now, particularly the MonoCog Flight single-speed. But the allure of the Pugstigator was too strong.

Salem Hills

Salem Hills

Salem Hills

I ran into some dudes who didn't understand the fat front tire concept of the Pugstigator. They seemed incredulous when I didn't have a canned answer about the technical benefits of such a rig. Well, I don't know if there are any benefits, but it sure is a fun bike! Later I rode a friend's bike for a short stretch of the course. It was more of a lightweight cross bike. It felt like a feather after riding the tractor-like Pugstigator. I am distrustful of bikes that aren't sufficiently heavy and ponderous.

3 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I think the Pugstigator is fun to ride, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that jolly riding, chubby front tire. There's a similar bike in my future.

The kids really loved the ride. They talked about it afterward and they want to go again.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered riding a bike with front (and possibly rear) suspension? It increases the level of enjoyment significantly on any off road trail. I honestly don't know if I could ever go back to a hard tail (and definitely not full rigid). Great ride report - thanks.

spiderleggreen said...

I relate to being unimpressed by lightweight bikes. The only upside is Fast. What's the rush, though?

As for suspension, that's what fat tires and a good seat are for.