Thursday, February 11, 2010

Some Surly Projects

Here's a 62 cm Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels.
62 cm LHT with 26" wheels

Some people have griped about the aesthetics of big frames with small wheels, but who gives a damn when you have tire clearance like this!
62 cm LHT with 26" wheels
That's a 2" tire. With a fender. With a lot of room left over. You'll get accustomed to the proportions after awhile, especially when you realize the built-in versatility of the astounding range of tires that will fit in this frame.


Speaking of tire clearance, we've had this stock 54 cm Cross-Check sitting around here forever. I suspect the "Beef Gravy" color is under-appreciated. Anyway, I just received some 700x45 Panaracer Fire Cross tires, and they fit this bike with room to spare. It's not a 29'er, but almost! Monster-cross anyone?
crosscheck monster

crosscheck monster
As I look forward to a Summer and Fall of trail riding, I guess I won't be too heartbroken if this bike doesn't sell. The taller tires make it just the right size for me...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

62 cm LHT looks nice. I wonder, if 26 x 2.25 Marathon XR would fit this frame?

Jim Thill said...

I think so.

leaf slayer said...

Jim, do you have to deflate the 2.0s to get them in the frame?

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's a big frame. How does it handle and what does it weigh (approximately)

thanks!

Jim Thill said...

No deflation necessary with the 2" tire.

Handles great. Weight is moderate.

Anonymous said...

The Cross Check looks great with the knobbly tires. I'm guessing the beef gravy color is a negative for most people. They should have called it beef bouillon -- it sounds classier.

Jim Thill said...

Whatever you call that color, it has grown on me. I really like this bike!

Doug said...

That beef gravy brown was perplexing to me. I had an old Bianchi road bike that was brown, but it was a very attractive brown. Lighter, and kind of sparkly. I loved that brown.

The beef gravy brown just sucks.

Jim Thill said...

By "sucks", I take that to mean you don't like it? I think it's cool because it's ugly.

Anonymous said...

The Beef Gravy Brown on my Crosscheck has really grown on me -- it seems like a perfect color for a Surly. I will say that my wife still doesn't like it.

Dan

thedaydreamnation said...

Do you have any Surly's in the new "Man Gravy" color?

dana the tall said...

Thanx for posting the pix of the 62cm LHT. I'm tall - 6'4 - and I've been looking for pix to help me size the bike up. Data alone doesn't always tell the whole story.
I live down 5 miles of Kansas farm road and have been using an aluminum mountain bike as my main ride. I want an all-roads touring/commuting bike; I know from experience that I prefer steel, and I like the idea of 26in wheels and large hybrid tires to support me and my load. I recently had and old Raleigh sc30 assembled with drop bars to test the concept, and I'm hooked on it. The 26" 62cm LHT would give me longer chainstays and better load carrying ability.