Thursday, February 18, 2010

Meet the new wheelbuilder

This is my daughter Elissa, who is almost 5 years old. Long-time HC customers may remember Elissa hanging out at the shop as a baby back in early 2006. Now she's getting ready to head to kindergarten in the Fall, and I'm betting she'll be the only kid in her class with wheel-building on her resume.
First wheel build
Elissa recently injured her foot in an altercation with her little brother, and for the past couple days has not been able to walk. So she's been taking some time off from preschool to heal up. Today I decided to put her to work. I know she's good at following patterns, so I showed her the sequence of spoke lacing, and she took to it quickly. She actually laced most of this wheel, until the last of the spokes, at which point she handed the project off to me so she could play in one of the big boxes from QBP.

Tonight she told me she wants to lace another wheel.

7 comments:

KM said...

she's way cuter than the creepy guy who used to do it.

Anonymous said...

Jim -

I would be somewhat concerned about the structural integrity of the final built product. Does she grasp the concept of consistent spoke tension?

thank you - David M.

Anonymous said...

My dreams of being an employee of Thill Custom Wheelbuilders are dashed by a 5 year old - damn it. She probably has lower pay requirements and needs less supervision too. Maybe I can save face by blaming it on nepotism... - Don

Anonymous said...

I bet she works for less than having the wheel built in China.

Jim Thill said...

Maybe, but she's slow and I'm obligated to feed, clothe, and provide lodging for her.

Snakebite said...

That's golden!

Tom Reingold said...

So cute and so heart-warming when our daughters take an interest in our manly interests. I have two daughters, now on the opposite coast in college. [Sniff] One of them can fix bicycles!