Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Get your Almanzo info here (plus more gravel riding)

I mentioned before that I am registered to do the Almanzo 100 race/ride in May. A growing number of HC regulars are into riding gravel roads and long distances, and a few of these friends/customers are now registered, too. I'm really looking forward to the ride: the challenge of riding a gravel century, learning new roads, and now riding with great friends. Anyway, if riding 100 scenic miles of gravel roads in mid-May sounds like your cup of tea, stop by HC and pick up an Almanzo pre-made postcard. Then put your name, gender, and email address on it, address it, and get it in the mail before the end of the month. (Important: please read the rules before entering.)

I have been seeking out gravel road riding since at least 2006, but last year (2009) I went out of my way to plot out some gravel-rich back-road routes, some of which we enjoyed on HC day rides, and others on a tour with friends. This year (2010), I'm going to go nuts with this. So look for a busy gravel road ride schedule once the snow melts. I have been spending my ample free time poring over maps and studying rides that others have done, and I'm confident that we'll have some memorable rides.

(Photo by Lanny Hoff)

9 comments:

Lanny said...

Riding gravel in MN is the best cycling experience out there. I'm determined to put together an Ottertail County overnighter (maybe even two overnights) this year because the scenery available just a few hundred yards off of main roads is glorious.

Want to come with me?

Jim Thill said...

I probably do want to join you!

Anonymous said...

I mailed my postcard in Mon. and I am ready to join you in May. Looking forward to it. Sounds like a blast.

Mark W.

Jim Thill said...

Both you guys are bringing your Rawlands?

Anonymous said...

I am.

Mark W.

Tex69 said...

can i come along for one? bit of a drive, but oh well.

Jim Thill said...

Please do, Tim.

Dan Christmas said...

I just sent my postcard for the Almanzo, as well. Any tire recommendations for gravel? I'm thinking Schwalbe Marathon Plus, but I have also read good things about the Vittoria EVO XN's.

Jim Thill said...

The Marathon Plus is wonderfully tough, but very heavy. I have had good luck with the Marathon Supreme, which is much lighter, but still pretty tough.

What size do you need, Dan?